Tour of Yunnan: 12 days with driver and guide in China
If you want to come on a trip to Yunnan from this blog we offer you a two-week tour of Yunnan with a driver and english-speaking guide. Located in the southwest of China, right on the border with Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam, Yunnan is gradually becoming the favorite province of many foreigners living in China and many others who come to make a trip to Yunnan.
This route through Yunnan is focused on seeing the nature of Yunnan. We will visit some ancient Chinese cities, but above all we will see karst mountains, waterfalls of 56 meters high, millenary tea fields and we will meet ethnic minorities even more minority than the ones that are visited in the other route that we offer through Yunnan.
Here I leave a summary of the itinerary of our trip organized by Yunnan that summarizes our motto of seeing incredible places but also living unique experiences.
Trip to Yunnan – Map of the Route through Yunnan focused on nature
Trip to Yunnan – 12 day itinerary through Yunnan (China)
Day 1 – Kunming, the city of spring
The capital of Yunnan is known as “The City of Spring” for its good climate. It is 1800m above sea level. We will visit the Yuantong Temple, the largest temple in Kunming, and Green Lake, the lake in the center of the city to see the traditional dances of Yunnan. Overnight in Kunming.
Day 2 and 3 – Luoping, waterfalls and karst mountains
Luoping is located 225 km from Kunming. It is famous for its landscape of karstic mountains and for being the place where during the beginning of spring until the end of February the canola flower grows, a flower that gives the fields a beautiful golden color. In Luoping we will also visit the Cascade of the Nine Dragons, a group of waterfalls where the largest is 56 meters high. Overnight in Luoping.
Day 4 and 5 – Puzhehei, the Guilin of Yunnan
From Luoping we will go to Puzhehei, which is 150 km away. Puzhehei is the name given to the 85 km² area of mountains, lakes, rivers, caves and waterfalls. It is an ideal place to enjoy the landscapes of Yunnan and meet a few ethnic minorities in the area, such as the Yi, the Zhuang, the Miao and the Bai. We will rent some bicycles and go to see the surroundings of Puzhehei. Accommodation in Puzhehei.
Day 6 and 7 – Yuanyang rice terraces
350 km away are the Yuanyang Rice Terraces, one of the best rice fields in all of China. It is almost unthinkable to travel to Yunnan and not visit the Yuanyang rice fields. We will enjoy the famous rice terraces of Bada, Duoyishu and Laohuzui and make a route through lesser-known but equally spectacular villages.
Day 8 and 9 – Puer Tea Fields
From Yuanyang to Puer there are 350 km. Puer, is a place known to be where Puer Tea is cultivated. We will visit the tea fields, see how it is prepared and do the tea ritual. We will stay in Puer.
Day 10 and 11 – Xishuangbanna, the Chinese mini Thailand
Only 125 km from Puer is the “Little Chinese Thailand”. It has earned this nickname in Yunnan because of the cultural and architectural similarity brought by the Dai ethnic minority. Xishuangbanna is characterized by its good tropical climate, its large jungles full of wild animals and for being one of the prefectures with the most variety of ethnic minorities. We will visit the Mekong, Dai villages and temples in the area. Overnight in Jinghong.
Day 12 – Return to Kunming
Our journey through deep China comes to an end. Day trip back to Kunming. You can choose to return by car or by plane from Jinghong depending on your convenience. Farewell dinner. Next day our driver will take us to the airport.
Deep China Trip – Our route through Yunnan with driver and guide:
Services included in the trip to Yunnan
To make your trip around Yunnan easier, the price of the route we offer is almost all included:
- 12 days of hotel.
- Breakfast at the hotels.
- Private Spanish-speaking guide for the entire trip.
- Car with private driver for the whole trip.
- Tickets to temples and parks.
- Travel insurance. (5% discount on your Mondo travel insurance)
- Plane ticket.
Services not included in the trip to Yunnan
- Lunches and dinners (We have not included it to give more flexibility to the travelers to choose on the fly that they want. It is difficult to spend more than 10 – 15 euros a day per person. If you want, you can also include it).
- Processing the tourist visa for China (in the Chinese Embassy of your country they should tell how to apply for tourist visa).
Trip to Yunnan: Travel as a couple, with friends or in a group
You can choose to travel to Yunnan as a couple, with friends or in an organized group. If you prefer to travel as a couple or with friends we can organize a trip to Yunnan during any time of the year. However, if you choose to travel in an organized group, we have divided the travel groups into fortnights. The groups are minimum of 2 people and maximum of 5.
- First half of July
- Second half of July
- First half of August
- Second half of August
- First half of September
Frequently asked questions about our 12-day route to Yunnan
- From Madrid to Kunming or from Barcelona to Kunming, a return flight ticket usually costs between 500 – 800 euros.
- Most hotels are 3 or 4 stars. We have looked for accommodations that combine a modern style with the traditional style of each place we are going to visit so that one can enjoy the essence of the place but also not lack anything.
- You can write us so that we can send you the list of hotels.
- Breakfast is included in all hotels. It can be free buffet or a la carte choice. In almost all hotels you can choose between western or eastern breakfast.
- The best time to visit the water-filled rice terraces in Yunnan is between December and February. In Yunnan the weather is usually good throughout most of the year, so if you come in the summer, during the rainy season, it is possible to have a shower.
- Our drivers are Chinese and our guides are English speakers with experience and residents in Yunnan for years.
- In total you need 14 days of vacation: the day of the trip to China, 12 days of travel through Yunnan and the day of return home. (We can also design/organize a shorter route).
Price of the 12 day trip to Yunnan
The price of the trip varies according to the people who come on the trip. The more people who sign up, the cheaper it is:
- 2 Persons: 2000 euros per person + Airline ticket
- 3 Persons: 1750 euros per person + Airline ticket
- 4 Persons: 1550 euros per person + Airline ticket
- 5 Persons: 1400 euros per person + Airline ticket
The route may be open to variables and changes depending on the convenience of travelers and outside circumstances. Whenever possible, we will try to organize a trip as personalized as possible. Don’t hesitate to have a look at the blog for information on each city. Also, you can check out my post about The 8 Best Places to Visit if you are coming from Yunnan.
You may also be interested in our other Route Organized by the most Outstanding Places in Yunnan. Take a look at the two itineraries to see which one you like best. If you decide to go on a trip to China and want to do a route around Yunnan, contact us.
Attention: Due to the Covid-19, it is not currently possible to obtain a tourist visa to go to China. Therefore, we only organize trips for those who are already resident in China.
Destiny does not make home visits.Carlos Ruiz Zafón